Johannes-Brahms-Platz , Hamburg
The magnificent, neo-baroque structure of the Laeiszhalle provides a wonderful ambience for an unforgettable evening of classical music, not to mention the jazz, pop and children's concerts.
The Laeiszhalle, Germany's largest and most modern concert hall at the time, was ceremonially inaugurated on 4 June 1908. The well-known Hamburg shipping company owner Carl Heinrich Laeisz had left instructions in his will that the company F. Laeisz should donate 1.2 million Reichsmarks for the construction of "a place worthy of the performance and for the enjoyment of noble and serious music". The sum was later increased by his widow Sophie Christine Laeisz. The neo-baroque concert hall was built by architects Martin Haller and Erwin Meerwein – who had already made a name for themselves as architects of the impressive Hamburg town hall – and it remains to this day one of the most beautiful in Europe.